It’s so warm at the trailer I decided to try my hand at baking on the BBQ…..well it turned out great!
We have a three burner BBQ…so you turn all three on to warm it up then once it reaches 400 turn the middle one off. Keep your other two burners on enough to keep it a hair under 400. We placed tow bricks on the ends and a cooling rack in the middle and placed the muffin tin on top of that. Worked perfectly!
The recipe I used fills 12 muffin liners full to the top…you need that so that you will have a muffin top.
This is a recipe I’ve done countless times and they always turn out….feel free to change out the fruit. I often use 3 berry mix from Costco…this time I used fresh rhubarb.
- 2 cups all purpose flour ( I use unbleached)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract ( I always use pure extracts)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup of oil ( I use sunflower)
- 2 cups rhubarb cut in about 1/4″ pieces
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl mix flour, b.p and salt
- In another medium bowl mix sugar, eggs, milk & oil (the key to soft moist muffins is to mix gently, don’t worry about lumps)
- Add rhubarb and chocolate and mix gently
- Fill muffin liners to the top. It will make exactly 12 muffins
- Place muffin tin on cooling rack sitting on bricks on the grill.