Tourtiere (meat pie) is a french tradition. My mother in law was a great cook and baker. She taught me how to make pie crust. She would call me when she was making her meat pie and she’d say “Patsy..I taught you how to make pie crust and now you do it better than me” LOL…miss her!
So today I used her meat pie recipe that she got from a lady she knew….it’s really good.
Make your favourite pie crust recipe or purchase one already made.
Today I made mine in hand pie form….it’s easier for me and my hubby instead of warming up a whole pie. I used a 5 inch round cutter..put 2 TBSP of filling..wet one half of the dough edge with cold water and fold over and crimped the edge.
So here we go:
Tourtiere (Meat Pie)
- 1 lb of ground veal
- 2 lbs of ground pork
- 1 whole onion chopped
- 1 TBSP of parsley
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepeper
- 4 large cloves of garlic minced
- 3/4 tsp of savoury
- 3/4 tsp sage
- 3 pinches of cloves
NOTE: this amount made 25 hand pies (depending on what size you make them). And 2 5 inch round mini pie plates.
- prepare your favourite pie crust (or buy one)
- you will need a 5 inch round cutter or a turnover cutter (see pictures)
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper
- put all your meat and all the rest of the ingredients in a large pot or pan and cook till no more red shows
- DO NOT GET RID OF THE JUICE!
- cool till its not hot but warm
- roll out dough and cut circles in the size you prefer
- mine took 2 TBSP of meat mixture
- KEEP STIRRING MIXTURE TO KEEP IT MOIST AS YOU FILL YOUR CIRCLES…YOU DON’T WANT DRY MEAT
- brush the edge of half the dough circle with water, then fold over and crimp. You can use a fork.
- brush tops with an egg wash
- make 2 slits in each pie for steam to escape
- bake @425 for 15 minutes…
- cool completely …..then on cookie sheets freeze before placing them in a container
- later take how many you want and thaw on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- place in oven @300 degrees till the centre is nice and hot.