My husband and I volunteer on Tuesdays at our local Hospice. I cook/bake and he takes care of all the dishes…what a guy!
The residents there sometimes don’t have much appetite..but we decided to make a batch of blueberry waffles and then I made these Savoury Muffins for a breakfast treat.
These muffins could be eaten with stew, soup, alone , etc. But always warm and with butter..lots of butter. I think they might be good with garlic/herb whipped cream cheese.
I know you’ll enjoy these. You might want to make a batch to have on hand for company.
So here goes!
Prepare your muffin pan. I sprayed mine for these and used a scoop large enough to fill the cavity to the top…that way you get a nice muffin top.
In large bowl mis:
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper ( or more if you wish)
- 1 bunch of green onions (scallions)
- 1/2 cup chopped cooked bacon
- 1/2 small sweet pepper chopped
in a medium bowl whisk:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 TBSP oil
- 3 TBSP melted butter
- 1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients
- In a medium bowl mix wet ingredients and cheese
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and with a spatula GENTLY MIX….DO NOT OVERMIX! You want nice fluffy muffin.
- Scoop into prepared pan.
Note: I sprayed my pans and my scoop filled the muffin tins to the top
The best way to store muffins is to freeze them. Then put one in the microwave for about 40-45 seconds on high..add butter or cream cheese…YUM!