My hubby was hungry for chicken wings today…..so I dug up this recipe for the sweet & spicy bbq sauce. This is the first time I make this but it was very very good as my hubby says…it’s a keeper.
It was easy to put together..doesn’t take long to cook down and thicken. So overall easy supper. That’s the way I like it!
All during supper we’d take turns to say how good it was! YUM!!!
I saved it for my camp recipes…it will be great when we all get together for a potluck.
So here goes;
Sweet & Spicy Bbq Chicken Wings:
- 16 chicken thighs, (you could do boneless, skinless). I did chicken wings and they turned out great.
- 4 garlic cloves – 1 TBSP
- fresh parsley – to sprinkle on top once done
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1-350 ml jar of orange marmalade (you could use apricot)
- 2 TBSP hot pepper jelly or some hot sauce as desired
- 2 TBSP Dijon mustard
- 2 TBSP honey
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tsp of smoked Paprika ( I used mild)
- Grapeseed oil to saute onion, garlic)
- heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat
- add 1 TBSP oil
- add onions and cook for about 4 minutes
- add garlic and cook another 2 minutes
- add marmalade and pepper jelly and cook till melted
- add orange juice and cider vinegar
- bring to a simmer and then add the ketchup, honey, Dijon and Worcestershire sauce
- adjust heat to medium low and simmer stirring often for about 15 minutes..add 1/2 tsp salt
- you can put in a blender and purée if you prefer, I left it as is.
- use about 1 cup to brush on chicken for the last 3 minutes of cooking ….keep the rest for a dipping sauce if required
- take a cookie sheet and cover it with foil then a sheet of parchment paper…easy cleanup
- dry your chicken pieces with paper towel they will brown better
- place them on prepared cookie sheet
- sprinkle with salt & pepper and smoked paprika on BOTH SIDES
- place in a 375 degree oven ( I did convection roast) it’s ok if you don’t have a convection oven
- after 12 minutes I turned my chicken wings over
- cook for another 12 minutes….adding the sauce for the last 3-4 minutes
- Note: I used chicken wings…half a pack from Costco..so about 25 or so wings.