It was making gingerbread cookie day today. I love the recipe I have…it’s not cheap on ginger and cinnamon…it’s a very flavourful cookie. This is my tried and true go to yummy cookie!
My kids are coming for Christmas dinner on Sunday so I thought I’d make these so they can decorate them. Yes I made royal icing in three colours..white, red & green and lots of sprinkles. My grandkids are older but they will still love this.
I’m a beginner in cookie decorating…so I made border royal icing which is thick and the flood icing which is much thinner…guess we’ll see how this works!
So here goes!
They’re ready for decorating with your favourite frosting!
- 2/3 cup of butter – room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup of molasses
- 1 large egg – room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups of unbleached flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP ground ginger (yes 1 full tablespoon)
- 1 TBSP ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- In a large bowl using a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter for 1 minute on high speed until completely smooth and creamy
- Beat in egg and vanilla on high speed for 2 full minutes
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves together until combined.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients till combined
- Note: the dough will be thick and slightly sticky
- Divide dough in half, wrap in plastic wrap, press down to form a flat disc and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Chilling is mandatory for this cookie
- Use flour to roll out , dough can get sticky…roll to 1/4 inch thick
- Cut into shapes
- Place only 1 inch apart on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper
- Bake in a 350 oven for 9-10 minutes
Royal Icing: this would cover 2-3 dozens of cookies with two colours
- 4 TBSP of Meringue Powder ( I used Wilton)
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1lb of icing sugar – sifted…..about 3 1/2 cups. IT MUST BE SIFTED!!!
- 1 tsp light corn syrup (this helps make the icing shiny and adds taste)
- 1/4 tsp of almond extract or whatever you prefer
- Add lukewarm water & meringue powder to the bowl of your stand mixer
- mix with paddle attachment till foamy
- add SIFTED icing sugar
- mix on low till blended
- add corn syrup & extract
- mix on high for about 5 minutes…till very stiff peaks form…when you can hold up you beater, shake and nothing moves it’s ready….DO NOT OVER-BEAT
- divide icing into 2 bowls ( I divided mine in 3)
- tint with desired food colouring..mix very well…
- take 1/3 of tinted icing and put into small piping bags with #2 tip
- this icing is on the thick side and will be your outline icing
- with lukewarm water in a clean spray bottle..slowly add water a bit at a time till the consistency of shampoo.
- pour into squeeze bottles….this will be the flooding icing
- NOTE: ALWAYS KEEP ICING COVERED WITH A DAMP CLOTHE TO KEEP FROM DRYING!!! Always wipe your tips clean to prevent drying. Seal unused icings. They should keep for a couple of weeks.
NOTE: You can google or youtube how to outline and fill cookies.
HAPPY COOKIE DECORATING!!