I came across this small recipe booklet that they sell at the cash at the grocery store about 20 years ago. All the recipes in the book use ReaLemon Juice. It has been my go to for this meatloaf recipe. In all these years I have not come across one that I like better. This recipe is truly delicious!
I want to encourage you to try it…you won’t be disappointed.
Today I made a double batch to have some in the freezer ready to go. With Christmas looming around the corner it’s handy to have things handy in case someone drops in. So today was day 2 of filling my freezer with our favourite foods.
So here goes!
I mixed this with a spatula first then my gloved hands very gently so not to overwork your meat…makes for a tender meatloaf.
Free form it in a shallow dish….compressing in a loaf pan makes a dense loaf…
This recipe will make two good sized meatloaves. I divided mine in 3 small ones.
It’s crusty on the outside and super juicy inside. Cook it uncovered! The last 10 minutes remove from oven…drain fat…then cover with ketchup sauce and cook for remaining time!
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup of packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of ReaLemon Juice from concentrate (reserve 1TBSP for the ketchup sauce)
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 cups of crushed crackers…(I prefer crackers than bread crumbs..your meatloaf is more moist)
- 1/2 of a large onion finely chopped
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 2 squirts of a beef liquid bouillon
This Recipe Makes 2 Loaves! Freeze one for later!
- Preheat oven to 350
- To make the sauce add: ketchup, brown sugar, dry mustard and 1 TBSP of your 1/4 cup lemon juice
- mix well and set aside
- in a large bowl mix your ground beef and ground pork together with salt and pepper ( mix with a large spatula so not to handle your meat mixture too much..makes for a tender meatloaf)
- add 1/3 cup of your ketchup sauce
- add the rest of your ingredients including lemon juice
- gently mix with gloved hands till blended
- THIS WILL MAKE 2 LOAVES! WRAP ONE IN PLASTIC WRAP AND FREEZE
- free form it in a glass dish ( I don’t like mine compressed in a loaf pan…it’s too dense…You’ll See!!)
- bake for 1 hour….Uncovered! TEN MINUTES before it’s done spread the ketchup sauce over top and bake for remaining time.
- It should be a bit crusty on the outside and juicy on the inside
- I baked mine on convection roast 375 for one hour UNCOVERED!
- if you don’t have a convection oven do 350 for one hour UNCOVERED!