I have never, so far, come across anyone that doesn’t like a good spaghetti dinner. For a long time for some reason I could not make a good spaghetti sauce.
One weekend we decided to go and visit our friends in Ottawa. When we got there I could smell this wonderful sauce that had been simmering for hours. I couldn’t wait to taste it!
When dinner time came I eagerly came to the table..the smells!!!! .I wasn’t disappointed! I could have literally eaten the whole pot it was soooooo good!
So of course I had to get the recipe..and he was willing to share. It did not take long after we got home that I wanted to try it. It’s an easy recipe, goes together in short order and is deliscious. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did.
Spaghetti Sauce…the best!
- 2 28oz cans of San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes…from Costco…squished with your hands
- 1 large can of Hunt’s Tomato Sauce
- 1 can of Tomato Paste
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 Italian sausage…casings removed…you choose how spicy
- 1 onion…finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 good size carrot..finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic..minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup of good red wine
- 1 TBSP each….oregano, basil, Italian seasoning, 2 bay leaves
- 3 TBSP of brown sugar
- brown your ground beef and sausage together…drain fat
- add onion and cook till onion is translucent
- add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes
- add celery, carrot, pepper and sauté for 2 minutes
- take your two cans of tomatoes and squish them with your hands..you can wear gloves…
- add tomatoes, tomato paste, Hunt’s Tomato Sauce to your meat mixture
- Add red wine and spices
- add brown sugar
- bring to a boil then simmer for at least 2 hours…
- use your favourite pasta