I just love a good summer salad…..so I’m sharing one today that I’m making for supper at camp on beautiful Manitoulin Island. So the kitchen I’m working in is our RV kitchen. It’s quite roomy and works great….I’ve also gotten used to baking on the BBQ and it beats warming up the trailer.
Yesterday I had the Manitoulin Chicks (our girly group here in our park) over for a BBQ baking lesson…I will post “how to”very soon…..it was a great success! And the bonus was getting to visit with my friends!
But today is salad day…if you’re like us here it’s been an extremely warm summer so we’re looking for something light and cool to eat.
So here we go….oops almost forgot! In Sudbury Ontario where we live we have a store that sells infused oils and balsamic vinegars..the store is called Adoro…could be a different name in your city…they make wonderful dressings…most stores give you a sheet with all the pairings and you can do tastings in the store as well…I just love them.
Today I’m using Lemon Olive Oil and BlackBerry/Ginger Balsamic.
PLEASE DON’T MIND THE PRESENTATION…..IT’S AT CAMP AFTER ALL!!!!
- romaine lettuce…washed and cut….YOU CAN USE A LETTUCE MIX OR ADD KALE TO YOUR ROMAINE
- red onion
- feta cheese
- candied pecans
- lemon olive oil
- blackberry/ginger balsamic
- wash and prepare romaine lettuce or lettuce mix
- red onion…sliced and ringed…set aside
- feta cheese….cut or crumbled…set aside
- strawberries…washed and sliced….set aside
- In a saucepan melt 1Tbsp of butter and 1Tbsp of brown sugar for every 1/2 cup of nuts…(I used pecans) you could use walnuts.
- Add pecans and simmer for about 7 minutes …till the sugar mixture is turned dark and the nuts are coated. DON’T BURN THEM!
- Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper…let cool…set aside
- Just before serving….toss your greens & onion with the olive oil
- Add in layers: feta cheese, pecans, and strawberries
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar over the top
- Note: I place the balsamic on the table so people can use more
Note: it looks really nice served on a long narrow platter with everything layered…